It’s no secret that working at height can be dangerous. But, with the proper precautions in place, it can also be a safe way to earn a living. That’s why it’s important for anyone who works at height – whether they’re an experienced builder or a new hire – to stay up-to-date on the latest safety regulations and best practices. And one of the best ways to do that is by completing an online working at heights refresher course.
In this blog post, we’ll discuss the benefits of online refresher courses, and we’ll provide some tips on how to find the right course for you. We’ve also chosen what we consider to be the best online working at heights refresher training providers in the industry. So if you’re looking to stay safe and up-to-date while working at height, read on!
How long is a working at heights ticket valid?
In Australia working at heights tickets don’t have an expiry date as they are a nationally recognised qualification. However, it is generally recommended that you complete a working at heights refresher course every 2 years. Because this is considered ‘industry best practice’ you’ll find that most regulators expect this on worksites.
Is an online working at heights refresher course valid?
Yes. Online courses are a convenient and flexible way to renew your working at heights ticket. They are also becoming increasingly popular, as most people now have access to the internet and can study in their own time
As long as the initial working at heights training was completed face to face by an accredited training provider, an online working at heights refresher course is legally valid in all states of Australia. However; you may find that some large companies may insist that any training be completed face to face in the classroom, which they are entitled to do.
What are the benefits of an online working at heights refresher course?
No matter how experienced you are, you should always ensure that you and your employees receive refresher training and safety briefings. Risks at height remain very real and dangers should be well within the minds of those who work above ground level. Many see it as a chore, but there is no getting away from the need for workers to refresh their training; we should all be more aware of the dangers that surround us at height.
There are many benefits to completing an online refresher course for working at heights (other than being expected by your visiting inspector!). Here are just a few:
1. It’s an easy way to stay up-to-date on the latest safety regulations
As the construction industry evolves, so do the safety regulations that govern it. That’s why it’s important for those who work at heights to stay up-to-date on the latest standards and best practices. An online refresher course is a great way to do that, as it provides a comprehensive overview of the latest safety guidelines and other best practices.
2. It can help you stay safe on the job
Working at height can be dangerous, but it’s a lot less dangerous if you’re familiar with the hazards and know how to safely mitigate them. An online refresher course will teach you about the common dangers associated with your trade, and it will give you tips on how to stay safe. Sometimes when someone is used to doing particular tasks they can begin to take shortcuts and become complacent about safety, an online refresher course can help nip this in the bud.
3. It can save you time and money
Let’s face it: taking time out of your busy schedule to attend a classroom-based training course can be a bit of a hassle. And if you have to travel to another city or state to attend the course, it can also be quite expensive. An online refresher course eliminates both of these problems, as you can complete it in your own time and from the comfort of your own home.
4. It can help you advance in your career
If you’re looking to move up the ladder in your construction company, completing an online refresher course can give you the edge over your competition. Showing your employer that you’re committed to staying up-to-date on the latest safety regulations and best practices will demonstrate that you’re serious about your career and that you’re willing to invest in your own development.
5. It can help you avoid costly fines (or worse!)
Failing to comply with the latest safety regulations can result in hefty fines for both you, your workers and your business. An online working at heights refresher course will ensure that you’re up-to-date on the latest rules and regulations, and it will help you avoid making costly mistakes that could put you and your colleagues at risk.
Also, by meeting industry best practices you can help mitigate your exposure to fines, charges and large insurance claims if something goes wrong on the job.
How long does an online working at heights refresher take?
The length of the course will largely depend on the provider, but most refresher courses will take anywhere from four to eight hours to complete. It’s important to note that you might not be able to complete the course in one sitting, and you might have to schedule it over a few days. Most online working at heights refresher courses are on demand and self-paced which means you can go as fast or as slow as you need. But remember, you don’t want to go too fast or you might miss vital information.
What will I learn in an online working at heights refresher?
The content of working at heights refresher courses will vary depending on the provider, but most courses will cover the following topics:
- An overview of working at heights regulations
- Working at heights equipment
- Risk assessment
- Hazard identification
- Safe work practices
- Emergency procedures
By the end of the course, you should have a good understanding of the risks involved in working at heights and how to mitigate them. You’ll also know what to do in the event of an accident or incident
Choosing the right online working at heights refresher course can be daunting, but by considering your needs and doing a little research, you can find the perfect one for you. Keep in mind that not all courses are created equal; make sure to choose one that is accredited and has a good reputation. Once you’ve found a course that suits your needs, take the time to complete it thoroughly so that you can effectively retain the information.
How to get the best out of your online working at heights refresher?
Although online courses are convenient, they’re not always the best learning method for everyone. If you’re having trouble retaining information or staying motivated, here are a few tips to help you get the most out of your online working at heights refresher course:
- Set aside a specific day/time to complete the training
- Make sure you don’t have any distractions
- Complete the course in one sitting if possible
- Take some notes while you’re going through the material
- If you’re struggling, reach out to the course provider for help
- Don’t just go through the motions, things may have changed and you might even learn something new!
By following these tips, you can make sure that you get the most out of your online refresher course and that you’re able to effectively retain the information.
How to choose an online working at heights refresher course?
One of the best things about online courses is that they’re convenient and accessible. You can access them when you have time, schedule them ahead of time or take them in your free time.
Choosing the right online refresher course for builders can be daunting, but by considering your needs and doing a little research, you can find the perfect one for you. Keep in mind that not all courses are created equal; make sure to choose one that is accredited and has a good reputation in the industry. Here are some things to consider when choosing an online working at heights refresher course:
- Make sure the course is accredited – When you’re looking for an online refresher course, make sure to choose one that is accredited by within Australia.
- Check the reviews – Before enrolling in an online refresher course, take the time to read some reviews from past students. This will give you a good idea of what to expect from the course and whether or not it’s right for you.
- Check the price – Once you’ve narrowed down your options, take the time to compare prices. Remember, you usually get what you pay for, so don’t be afraid to spend a little extra on a course that comes highly recommended
- Make sure it’s relevant – When choosing an online refresher course, make sure to choose one that is relevant to your trade or job. Most working at heights refresher courses will be suitable for all industries, but some training providers might specifically target certain types of work.
- Check the delivery method – Online courses can be delivered in a variety of ways, such as through video lectures, PDFs, webinars or even face-to-face classes. Make sure to choose a delivery method that suits your learning style.
What are the best online working at heights refresher courses?
There are a lot of online working at heights refresher courses in Australia, but we’ve selected 5 of the best so you don’t have to waste your time looking.
This course is designed for those who are required to work at heights as part of their role. The aim of the course is to give you a safe working philosophy for when you need to perform work at heights.
This training addresses the theoretical component of working at heights. This training does not give you the practical skills required to perform work at heights. To achieve accreditation, you should complete an in-person training session with a trainer accredited to deliver work at heights training.
If you perform work at heights before completing your in-person training you could endanger your safety and the safety of those around you.
This course delivers the theoretical component of RIIWHS204D and the latest RIIWHS204E Work safely at heights and will provide you with information about:
- the legal requirements for working safely at heights and where you can find out more about them
- how to select, use and maintain fall protective and rescue equipment
- the process and procedures to follow to ensure you minimise risk, and
- how to plan for emergency situations
Kangaroo Training Institute
This nationally recognised “Online Refresher Course Work Safely at Heights” training course gives trainees the necessary skills and knowledge to safely and efficiently work at heights. ‘Working at Heights’ is whenever people are at risk of falling from, into or through one level to another or at risk of hitting others below with falling objects.
When working at height, preparation and planning are essential. Falls from height can leave people with permanent and debilitating injuries. Falls often occur from roofs, scaffolds, ladders, trucks and mezzanine floors or into pits or holes. On completion the trainees will be able to competently understand and perform.
- Perform inspection on height safety equipment
- Wear and maintain height safety equipment
- Select a suitable anchorage point and how to safety use it
- Install and use fall arrest and fall restraint system
- Store and care for necessary equipment
- Identify appropriate rescue procedures
- Understand legislation, Australian Standards and Codes of Practice relevant to working and being safe at various heights and fall prevention equipment.
The Working at Heights Refresher course (also called Work Safely at Heights Refresher) has been created to re-confirm your knowledge of all safety and practical aspects of height work. This course will also allow you to regain a sound understanding of all legal requirements which apply to the job.
Topics covered in this course include:
- Legal and organisational requirements applying to height work;
- Identification of hazards and risks in and around a work area;
- Carrying out risk analyses to determine the risk level of each hazard;
- Principles of hazard management and emergency response when working at height;
- Common hazards relating to elevated work areas, equipment and work practices;
- The six levels of hazard control measures relating to height work (ground work/solid platform work; fall prevention devices; work positioning systems; fall arrest systems; ladders; administrative controls);
- Inspecting, setting up and using height protection equipment safely;
- Care and maintenance of safety equipment;
- Entering the area, carrying out work and finalising work safely when at heights.
This course is based on the national competency standards accredited by the state and national training authorities.
Guided by legislation, the aim of this course is to teach all issues related to working at heights, so that participants can be equipped with an understanding of all the requirements and procedures. This course will help participants comply and adhere to all workplace health and safety (WHS) procedures.
With its focus on risk assessment and safety, this course will allow participants to feel comfortable and confident to work at heights – and be able to react if any dangers were to occur.
As a minimum, personnel need to be refreshed in their knowledge of:
- Locates and applies relevant documentation, policies and procedures
- Demonstrates completion of working safely at heights that safely, effectively and efficiently meets all of the required outcomes on more than one (1) occasion including:
- Accessing, interpreting and applying technical and safety information for working at heights
- Assessing hazards and risk associated with working at heights and implement control methods
- Selecting wearing and caring for personal protective equipment
- Identifying required safety systems including fall protection and associated equipment
- Checking that fitting, adjusting and anchoring of fall protection and associated equipment is correct
- Performing work safely at heights
This work safely at heights refresher course provides individuals who have previously completed the equivalent course, with the ability to refresh their knowledge and skills. As this course is 100% online, you can work through the course content and refresh your knowledge self-paced, at any time.
The course includes the following topics:
- Identify work requirements
- Identify work procedures and instructions
- Access and install equipment
- Perform work at heights
- Clean up the work area
The best online working at heights refresher courses are those that are accredited, relevant to your trade or job, and delivered in a way that suits your learning style. Make sure to set aside some time to complete the course so that you can effectively retain the information. And don’t forget to take advantage of any resources that the course provider offers, such as support forums or one-on-one help. With a little effort, you can make sure that you’re prepared for anything and that you can work safely at heights.